• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Community

Faunsdale Jail | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Faunsdale Jail

History of Faunsdale Faunsdale, Alabama, was known initially as St. Michael’s Parish after a log church built on land donated by Virginian Dr. Thomas Alexander Harrison. Harrison moved to...

Old Greensboro Jail | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Old Hale County Jail

A Short History of Hale County, Ala. In December 1823, the community of “Troy” was incorporated as a town and renamed “Greensborough” in honor of American Revolutionary War...

Alabama State Training School for Girls | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Alabama State Training School for Girls

State Training School for Girls The Alabama State Training School for Girls in Chalkville was founded in 1899 in the West End neighborhood of Birmingham and was originally known as the “Home...

Thomaston Jail | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Thomaston Calaboose

History of Thomaston Thomaston was first settled in the late nineteenth century, and the first post office was opened in 1892. The settlement had no official name until 1901 when the Selma to...

Old Marengo County Courthouse | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Old Marengo County Courthouse

The Town of Linden Settled prior to 1818, the community was first known as “Screamersville”, since one could hear the cry of wild animals throughout the night. Marengo County was created...

Colored Masonic Temple | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Colored Masonic Temple

Colored Masonry in Alabama Colored Masonry in Alabama came into existence approximately 1867, two years after the end of the American Civil War. By 1869, there were between eight and ten properly and...

Wetumpka Calaboose | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Wetumpka Calaboose

History of Wetumpka The Old Calaboose is located on Orline Street in Wetumpka, along the Coosa River, in a parking area behind the buildings along Bridge Street. It’s estimated to have been...

Slossfield Community Center | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Slossfield Community Center

Dr. Thomas Boulware, ‘The Old Stork’ The Slossfield Community Center is a complex built in the 1930s by the American Pipe Company as an extension of its health program for workers and...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer