• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Educational

Banks High School | Photo © 2021 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Banks High School

Aerial view of Banks High School, 1960s Plans for what was to become Banks High School were approved in 1955, although to the disapproval of some members of the community. The Old College...

Sayre Street School | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Sayre Street School

Franklin Academy The Sayre Street School is the oldest surviving public school building in Montgomery. Its history dates back to 1860 when a private boys’ school, the Franklin Academy, was...

W. B. Paterson Elementary School | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

W. B. Paterson Elementary School

William Burns Paterson William Burns Paterson is known for being an educational provider and one of the founders of Alabama State University. Born on February 9, 1850, in Scotland, he made his way to...

Chilton County Training School | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Chilton County Training School

Undated photograph of the Chilton County Training School. Alabama Register of Landmarks and History. Built in 1924, the Chilton County Training School for African Americans was completed due to the...

Ensley High School | Photo © 2017 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Ensley High School

Ensley High School Ensley High School was founded in 1901 to serve the Ensley neighborhood of Birmingham, which was centered around major plants operated by U.S. Steel and the American Cast Iron Pipe...

Powell School | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Powell School

Powell School, 1908 Originally known as the Free School, the Powell School was Birmingham’s first public school as well as the city’s oldest surviving school. The school was named after...

Old Chilton County High School | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Old Chilton County High School

Chilton County High School, c. 1940s On December 22, 1913, the Commissioners Court of Chilton County, under Probate Judge Louis Henry Reynolds, appropriated $4,000 for the construction of a new high...

Marengo County High School | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Marengo County High School

The Marengo County High School, 1995. Joan Embree The town of Thomaston was founded by Dr. Charles B. Thomas and was incorporated on November 15, 1901. In 1907, the Alabama State Legislature voted to...

F. D. McArthur School | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

F. D. McArthur School

F. D. McArthur School, 1948. The Birmingham News The F. D McArthur School was established in 1903 as Seventeenth Avenue School in a small two-room wooden frame building on the northwest corner of...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer