• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Montgomery

Forest Avenue Methodist Church | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Forest Avenue Methodist Church

Forest Avenue Methodist Church In 1896, the Dexter Avenue Methodist Church began a mission in the Highland Park area of Montgomery. The mission met in an old abandoned building along the Central of...

morning view postcard

Morning View

Gen. Mitchell B. Houghton Mitchell Bennett Houghton was born on September 14, 1844, the son of William Henry and Elizabeth Ann Bennett Houghton. In July 1861, he enlisted in Newton, Alabama in the...

brame house 1980

Brame House

Property dates back to 1862 The Brame House, also known as the Brame-Cody-Neal House, was a historic Classical Revival-style house in Montgomery located at 402 South Hull Street. Its...

Tan-Kar Blue and Gray Filling Station | Photo © 2022 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Tan-Kar Oil Company

The Tan-Kar Oil Company was founded in 1928 by Moses Wadsworth Stuart Sr. along with his business partner Isaac Fred Solomon who was bought out in the late-1930s. M. W. Stuart was a businessman who...

cowles

Thomas M. Cowles Mansion

Thomas M. Cowles Major Thomas Merriweather Cowles was born in 1794 in Richmond County, Georgia, the son of William Marston and Anna Merriwether Cowles. He was also a descendant of Richard Cowles, an...

Sayre Street School | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Sayre Street School

Franklin Academy The Sayre Street School is the oldest surviving public school building in Montgomery. Its history dates back to 1860 when a private boys’ school, the Franklin Academy, was...

W. B. Paterson Elementary School | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

W. B. Paterson Elementary School

William Burns Paterson William Burns Paterson is known for being an educational provider and one of the founders of Alabama State University. Born on February 9, 1850, in Scotland, he made his way to...

Blessed Sacrament Convent | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Blessed Sacrament Convent

Centennial Hill St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and convent for the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament are located in Montgomery in the historic Centennial Hill neighborhood. The church was one of...

Capitol Motor Company | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Capitol Motor Company

McGough Motor Company The origin of the Capitol Motor Company dates back to 1919 when Thomas Dawson McGough Jr. opened the city’s first automotive dealership, the McGough Motor Truck Company...

Winter Place | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Winter Place

Joseph S. Winter’s first house, 1851 John Gano Winter was born in 1799 in New York City and settled in Augusta, Georgia years later. He married Lucinda Bennett and in 1821, gave birth to their...

Empire-Rouse Laundry | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Empire-Rouse Laundry

L. D. Rouse L. D. Rouse came to Montgomery in the early-1900s and in June 1907, he established the Steam Laundry business in an old building on North Perry Street with what he described as...

Benjamin W. Walker House | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Benjamin W. Walker House

Cottage Hill District The Benjamin W. Walker House at 301 North Goldthwaite Street is the best example of Queen Anne-style architecture in the Cottage Hill District. The district was planned out in...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer