• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Northern Alabama

The Vintage Station | Photo © 2021 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

The Vintage Station

Southern Railway Depot was built in 1916 and is located a block away from the Bessemer Freight Depot. Bessemer Hall of History Located in Bessemer, the Vintage Station was built in 1917 originally as...

Finley Roundhouse | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Finley Roundhouse

Interior of the roundhouse at Finley Yard, c. 1915. The Railway and Engineering Review The Finley Roundhouse was built in 1915 by the Southern Railway Company at its Finley Memorial Yard located in...

Alabama Gas Corporation Building

Alabama Gas Corporation Building

Inside the adjoining former Bank for Savings & Trusts building The Alabama Gas Corporation (Alagasco) Building is a five-story commercial building constructed in 1915. The building has also been...

Ruffner No. 2 Mine | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Ruffner No. 2 Mine

View of the gyratory crusher at Ruffner Red Ore Mine, c.1993. Historic American Landscapes Survey Ruffner No. 2 mine was an ore mine operating from about 1886 to 1953 on the southeastern slopes of...

Carraway Hospital | Photo © 2020 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Carraway Hospital

Dr. Charles N. Carraway Founded by Dr. Charles Newton Carraway, Carraway Hospital, originally known as Norwood Hospital, and Physicians Medical Center Carraway at the time of its closure, was a 617...

Miracle Deliverance Temple | Photo © 2018 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Pratt City Methodist Church

History of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South The former Pratt City Methodist Church in Pratt City, last known as the Miracle Deliverance Temple, was built in 1902 for the Methodist Episcopal...

Ensley High School | Photo © 2017 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Ensley High School

Ensley High School Ensley High School was founded in 1901 to serve the Ensley neighborhood of Birmingham, which was centered around major plants operated by U.S. Steel and the American Cast Iron Pipe...

Powell School | Photo © 2019 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Powell School

Originally known as the Free School, the Powell School was Birmingham’s first public school as well as the city’s oldest surviving school. The school was named after Colonel James R...

Slossfield Community Center | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Slossfield Community Center

Dr. Thomas Boulware, ‘The Old Stork’ The Slossfield Community Center is a complex built in the 1930s by the American Pipe Company as an extension of its health program for workers and...

Sloss Furnaces | Photo © 2012 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Sloss Furnaces

Sloss Furnaces during its operation. Courtesy of Alabama Public Television. Colonel James Withers Sloss was one of the founders of Birmingham, helping to promote railroad development in Jones Valley...

F. D. McArthur School | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

F. D. McArthur School

F. D. McArthur School, 1948. The Birmingham News The F. D McArthur School was established in 1903 as Seventeenth Avenue School in a small two-room wooden frame building on the northwest corner of...

Pizitz Department Store | Photo © 2012 Bullet, www.abandonedalabama.com

Pizitz Department Store

Pizitz Department Store Pizitz was a family-owned chain of department stores founded in 1899 in Birmingham, Alabama by Louis Pizitz as the Louis Pizitz Dry Goods Company. It became one of the best...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer